Monday, May 3, 2010

Dandelion Wine Making

This is my first year making dandelion wine. I'm excited to add another to my list of brewing accomplishments. 
Yesterday, me, my son Remington and 5 of our dogs went and picked the flowers down by our maple grove for about 45 minutes. It was so windy and cold...a very blustery day! The dogs always enjoy themselves and snoop, running and chasing each other. Brewsky (Boo Boo) the black lab and Scooter (Pickle Weasel) especially!
Beware...your hands will become stained with brownish yellow "stuff" from picking the flowers!
This is what I discovered; I waited until early evening to remove the green base of the flower from the yellow petals and by that time, all of the flowers were wilting...alot. So now I know that they must be processed SOON after picking. Your hand and fingernails will continue to stain.
The recipe calls for 2 litres of dandelions needed for 1 gallon of wine. The yellow flowers measured 1 1/2 litres after de-greening.
Here is the link to the recipe I am using: "Brew-magic, UK"
I have two batches started. I used 1/2 gallon of distilled water per batch of dandelion flowers. This was just enough to cover the flowers for steeping.
 Two days the flowers steep and then it will be ready to get it brewing.
I will continue with the procedure and relay any information that may help anyone for their first time in brewing Dandelion Wine!


1 comment:

Julie said...

A sweet wine, tangy wine or ??? Might be interesting.
Happy Birthday today Terri. I hope it is a great one. You deserve only the best you know!!!
Love you girl friend. Take care and God Bless!!!